Wondering if DanceSport is the right fit for you? Join us for one of our information sessions, held within a week before each Audition. Meet current DanceSport Company and Club members and get your questions answered in an informal setting.
Auditions for the NMSU DanceSport Company & Club are held:
- At the beginning of the Fall semester
- At the beginning of the Spring semester (Club only)
- At the end of the Spring semester
- Under special circumstances, participating Club members may be invited to transfer to the Company at the beginning Spring semester
The Audition Process:
After arriving at the designated audition location, you will fill out a brief information sheet and introduce yourself to the group. You will learn amalgamations in two styles of dance (e.g. ballroom, latin or swing), will be paired with a DanceSport Company member and will perform what you have learned. Our intention is that you have fun, challenge yourself and learn something new. You will also be given the opportunity to present any performance piece they may have. After the initial audition, you will receive a phone call with the next required step. If it is determined that you could be a potential company or club member, you will be asked to participate in a follow-up interview. If it is determined that your experience level is not quite to the standards of the program, you will be supported in gaining additional training in preparation for a future audition.
In order to audition, prospective members should have taken DANC 122 and DANC 125, or the equivalent, covering basic figures in Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha-Cha, Salsa, and East Coast Swing. Additional dance experience is preferred. DanceSport members should have a strong work ethic, a dedication to team, a passion for dance, the desire to learn, and the ability to take correction. Admittance is not solely dependent on the prospective members audition, but also the needs of the company.
How To Prepare For Your Audition:
- Continue dance training in all styles and levels
- Attend our Free Tuesday Night Dance Lessons
- Join our DanceSport Club preparation classes
What to wear:
Please wear dance appropriate attire and dance shoes if you have them. Also remember that you are in an interview so appearance is taken into consideration.
What we are looking for:
- General level of dance ability in two styles of dance
- Interaction with the other dancers and Company members
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Your sense of humor
- Company members must be dance majors or minors.
- Company members must enroll in DANC 204 (Section 01)/304, subtitle – DanceSport Company
- Club members must enroll in DANC 204 (Section 02), subtitle – DanceSport Club
- All must be currently enrolled in a DanceSport technique class (two recommended).
- All must maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- All must maintain a “C” or better in all dance classes.
- All must maintain a “B” in DanceSport course.
NMSU now offers Bachelors and Masters degree programs in DanceSport. These programs provide a broad coverage of the field that includes development of basic-advanced DanceSport technical and performance skills complemented by related studies in arts and sciences. They provide students with an appropriate background for the pursuit of careers or advanced degrees in professional DanceSport, teaching, performance, choreography and other related fields.
The DanceSport Company trains 3 times a week for 2 hours each meeting. The meeting times for DANC 204/304 are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30am-10:20am.
The DanceSport Company also hosts free, public dance lessons from 7:00pm-9:00pm every Tuesday night during the semester. Members are required to attend these beginner lessons and are encouraged to develop teaching skills by planning and conducting the classes themselves.
In addition to these regularly scheduled practice times, members will need to work on their own time with their partners. Students will also be required to participate in various community service activities, workshops, competitions and performances throughout the year.
Each member will sign a contract agreeing to the responsibilities and commitments of being a company member. The completion and fulfillment of the contract and the syllabus determines the grade for this class and continued participation in the company.
At the end of each semester, company members are reviewed and the contract is either renewed or cancelled.
- Don’t yet know how to dance? Learn with us.
- Not a student or not ready to join the DSC? Check out the local dance scene.
- Watch the DanceSport Company perform on stage!